The Gatehouse – Historic Restoration
This French Renaissance Revival home was originally built in 1876 by Walter Langdon, son-in-law of John Jacob Astor. It was built for Langdon’s favorite niece and sat at the entrance to his estate . . . an estate that subsequently was bought and re-built by Frederick W. Vanderbilt.
When the current owner fell in love with it, it was in need of restoration – inside and out. He loved having the Vanderbilt Estate as a next door neighbor and had an instant attraction to the historical significance of the house. So we rolled up our sleeves and lovingly restored what we could (and recreated what was too far gone) to deliver this beautifully-detailed historic home with all the comforts of the 21st Century. All new infrastructure (plumbing, electrical, HVAC), hardwood flooring, custom cabinetry and crown moldings. A re-created state roof with copper detail, custom-made windows to match the original ones, and new porches. Historically-inspired kitchen and fireplace, and paneled cabinetry. A beautiful balancing of respect for history and thoughtful modernization
Photos by Pablo Corradi